I make no claims to being any sort of a gardener. My mother who has created the most lovely English country garden always says that it is the result of a series of mistakes, but I happen to believe that there was a lot of sound common sense and a fair bit of knowledge mixed in. She was also prepared to work alongside Mother Nature and the result is a garden that is filled with delightful nooks and corners all of which call for a good book, a comfortable chair and a tray of tea.
Thanks to a fortunate succession of introductions, phone calls and kindness, today I was invited to join a group of ladies who all belong to the American Women's Group of Languedoc Roussillon. http://www.awglr.org/ .
Despite not being American, I was made to feel very welcome and found myself in a group of women, who like me, could claim to be citizens of the world rather than being based solely in one country. Many were married to Frenchmen and a couple heartily sympathised with my inability to speak French despite being in the same situation. "It's a bit like getting your husband to teach you to drive" we all agreed - "Not a good idea"!
Today a group of us visited a local nursery which specialises in dry gardens, and despite a cold harsh wind blowing off the Cevennes Mountains, we all gathered inside one of the large greenhouses while the nurseryman shared his extensive knowledge with us. Although unable to follow much of the French, I was impressed with my companions who not only understood everything, but asked all the right questions. Meantime, I was just happy to be surrounded by acres of plants from South Africa, South America, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand, all of which would cope very happily in the hot dry conditions that prevail in this corner of France throughout the summer months.
Having made our purchases and written up our notes, we headed back to the home of one of the members where we shared a delicious "pot luck" lunch. Any meal that involves smoked salmon, shrimp creole, warm fennel and a fabulous orange desert strikes me as being anything but "pot luck" and I felt that the luck lay with me for being there in the company of these interesting women.
Will I return to the nursery? - you bet!
Will I join the ladies of the American Women's Group? - you bet!
Has it been a good day?- you know the answer.
http://www.pepiniere-arc-en-fleurs.com/cotejardin.htm